Skip to main content



The School of Music celebrates musical artistry and understanding as core elements of the human experience, crucial components of a liberal education, and central aspects of a spiritual life.

In the School of Music, students learn self-expression and self-discipline through rigorous practice and passionate performance. They develop an acute sensitivity for collaboration and artistic cooperation through intensive ensemble work. In the study of music theory and history, students learn to hear and appreciate various musical languages, distinguish nuances of style, and discern the connections between musical developments and their cultural contexts.


download (1).jpg

School of Music Website

Audition Information

Program and Course Information

  • Absolutely, more information can be found here.

  • Please contact the College of Fine Arts and Communications Advisement Center by calling 801-422-3777 or emailing for specific information on how to declare a minor. Be aware that some minors may require an application process.

  • A list of classes that fill the University Core can be found here. Courses required for majors are listed in the Major Academic Plan (MAPs); we recommend students follow the suggested sequence of courses. Course recommendations for pre-majors can be found here. Ensemble information can be found on the School of Music website.

  • If you have gained admittance to the School of Music, and have select transfer courses that might be equivalent to some of your major requirements at BYU, please email the music advisor. Note: major transfer courses are only evaluated after admittance to the School of Music. For more information, please view the School of Music Undergraduate Handbook.

  • Students who pass the aural part of the AP Music Test with a score of 4 or 5 will receive credit for MUS 193 and will also receive credit for Music 195 with a score of 4 or 5 on the written (theory) portion of the test. Those students will, however, be responsible for completing MUS 197 (first semester sight singing). Students seeking AP music credit must have their scores reported to BYU. More information on AP exam credit can be found here.

  • A flag is a code placed on your BYU account that allows you to register for courses that are restricted due to “majors only” designation or prerequisites. To have your record flagged, email the music advisor, Randa Alvord.

  • View the School of Music’s website for application/audition information and deadlines. You may also call or stop by their office for further information.

  • You may review the required recital scheduling process here (please also double check you are registered for lessons) and for more information on recitals see the School of Music website.

  • You can access it here on the School of Music Website.



Commercial Music (BM)*

Music (BA)*

Music Composition (BM)*

Music Education (BM)*

Music Performance: Brass (BM)*

Music Performance: Combined Piano & Organ (BM)*

Music Performance: Organ (BM)*

Music Performance: Percussion (BM)*

Music Performance: Piano (BM)*

Music Performance: String (BM)*

Music Performance: Vocal (BM)*

Music Performance: Woodwind (BM)*

Music (Minor)

*Limited enrollment programs