Students must select and declare a major by the time they reach 60 BYU credit hours. Once students surpass 75 BYU credit hours they will not be allowed to change their major unless special permission is granted. This document outlines the College of Fine Arts and Communications’ implementation of this policy.


This form is for students who wish to substitute a class they completed at BYU in place of another class for their major or minor or if they have obtained a test waiver.


The National Academic Advising Association is a global, educational organization of advisors, counselors, faculty, administrators, and students working to enhance the educational development of students. The NACADA website houses numerous articles, materials, publications, and other resources for students, advisors, and educators.


This form is for students who have transferred from another university and completed courses that are equivalent to a major or minor replacement at BYU.


Minor Policy

Students who have accumulated more than 90 BYU credit hours are required to meet with their CFAC academic advisor and complete a formal petition in order to gain approval to add a minor.