Communications Overview

The BYU School of Communications prepares students for careers in fields related to mass communication, such as advertising, journalism, and public relations. The school is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Grounded in a strong liberal arts foundation, this program provides a balance between scholarship and professional skills. This goal is accomplished by requiring core courses and electives that enhance critical thinking about the discipline, while providing courses in emphasis areas that afford additional skills for each profession.

Undergraduate Programs and Degrees

*All Communications majors and are limited enrollment. The Communications minor is open enrollment.

Application Information

The Communications major is a limited enrollment major. Students interested in applying to one or more emphasis in Communications should do the following:

  1. Declare the Communications pre-major
  2. Take the prerequisite courses and earn a B or higher in each course (a B- will not count, no exceptions):
    • WRTG 150 or equivalent transfer course or an Advanced Writing GE course (such as WRTG 311, 312, 313, 315, or 316 or M Com 320). Note: Credit received for AP English does not fulfill this requirement
    • Communications 101
    • Emphasis specific course: for Advertising, Comms 230; for Communications Studies, Comms 238; for Journalism, Comms 239; for Public Relations, Comms 235
  3. Follow the “How to Apply” instructions for each emphasis:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I declare the Communications pre-major?

Students with less than 45 BYU credit hours (which does not include BYU language exam credit, transfer credit or Advanced Placement (AP) credit) may submit a request through the Change Major link on MyMAP. Students who have more than 45 BYU credits (not including BYU language exam credit, transfer credit or AP credit), should schedule an appointment to meet with the Communications pre-major advisor by calling (801) 422-3777, or stopping by the Advisement Center, D-444 HFAC. For any questions about credit hours, please email

How do I declare the Communications minor?

Contact the CFAC Advisement Center in person at D-444 HFAC or call 801-422-3777.

Will my transfer credits fulfill any prerequisite requirements?

For information on transfer equivalencies for pre-major courses, email

Where can I find information about Communications scholarships?

Scholarship information can be found on the School of Communications website.

How can I learn more about the Communications labs?

The School of Communications maintains five labs that offer state-of-the-art facilities to allow students to practice professional skills they learn in the classroom.

The five professional labs are: AdLab, Newsline, The Universe, YDigital Agency, and the Eye Tracking Center.

What can I do with a major in Communications?

Visit the Career Services website for various resources including “What Can I Do With My Major?”  > “View All Majors” dropdown box > Communication > Select the major of your choice (Advertising, Communications Studies, Journalism & Electronic Media/Broadcasting, or Public Relations).

Still have questions? Schedule an appointment by calling our office at 801-422-3777