How do my transfer credits count toward major requirements?

If you believe you have select transfer courses that might be equivalent to some of your major requirements at BYU, please contact the Advisement Center at 801-422-3777. If needed, your Advisor will help you fill out a Transfer Equivalency Form.

How can I find out the status of my transfer credits?

Log into MyMAP and then click on Progress Report under the Tools Header. Your transfer or concurrent enrollment credit will be listed on the last page in the academic summary. If your transfer credit is not showing, contact your former school and have them send an official transcript to CES Admission Processing Brigham Young University A-41 ASB Provo, UT 84602 or you may hand deliver your transcript in a sealed envelope to OneStop Student Services D-155 ASB. For any further questions contact the Transfer Evaluation Office at 801-422-8522.

Who can I talk to about possible careers for my major?

Assigned faculty members are available to students desiring an assessment of potential performance and career opportunities. Additionally, BYU Career Services 2400 WSC provides career advisement for all BYU students.

How can I schedule an appointment with my academic advisor?

To schedule an appointment with an academic advisor, either call us at (801) 422-3777, or stop by our office in D-444 HFAC.

Who can I contact about what classes to take?

The College Advisement Center has all the MAPs and information you need to help you plan your schedule. You may also make an appointment with a major or pre-major advisor who can help you plan a schedule that will include GE and major or pre-major classes. For an appointment please call 801-422-3777, or stop by our office in D-444 HFAC. If you are an undecided major, you may meet with an advisor in the University Advisement Center located in 2500 Wilkinson Student Center. You may contact them by phone at 801-422-3826 or by email at

How do I know what math or foreign language class I should take?

You’ll find placement exams with course recommendations at the following websites:


select BYU
password: cougars1
Select Language


This would depend on the highest-level math class you took last, how long it has been since you took it, what level of math your major requires, and where you feel most comfortable in math. You may find more information here or you may contact the Math Department at 801-422-2061 so they may help you determine this in detail.

What if my AP or IB credit doesn’t show on my progress report?

For AP Scores, go to the Registrar’s Office in D-150 ASB to log in to your AP College Board account to have your scores verified and added to your BYU Record.

For IB Scores: Send your official scores to Brigham Young University A-41 ASB, Provo UT 84602

How do I know if my AP or IB credit fills BYU’s University core requirements?

Log into MyMAP and then click on Progress Report under the Tools Header. Your AP or IB credit will show on the first page of University Core information, and in your academic summary on the last page. You can also access this information at: AP/IB Guides. Click on the year you took the exam. Find the test you took, the score you received, and then you can see if it fulfilled a BYU Core requirement.

I have a hold for first-year writing. What do I need to do?

Email your advisor to have them remove the hold and register for first-year writing as soon as you can.

Will my second major or minor show on my diploma?

No, but it will be reflected on your official university transcript.

How do I apply for graduation?

To apply for graduation, click here. Once you have completed the online application, please set up an appointment to meet with your advisor by either calling the Advisement Center at 801-422-3777, or stopping by our office in D-444 HFAC to finish the process.

What will be on my diploma?
  • The university’s name
  • The university seal
  • Your name as it was given to the university on your graduation application
  • The degree awarded
  • Any honors and distinctions
  • The date your degree was awarded
  • Signatures of the chairman of the Board of Trustees and of the president of the university
I missed the graduation application deadline. Can I still apply?

Though applying by the deadline will ensure you are approved to graduate, the answer is usually yes. However, the closer it gets to graduation, the less likely we will be able to approve your application. Please contact the Advisement Center by either calling the Advisement Center at 801-422-3777, or stopping by our office in D-444 HFAC as soon as possible.


How do I change the name on my diploma?

Contact BYU Registrar’s Office at 801-422-2631.

Will my name be on the program?

If you applied by the deadline, yes. If you are walking at a different time than you are actually graduating, your name will appear in the program when you receive your diploma.

Can I walk in a ceremony if I am not actually graduating at that time?

Students may walk in the April ceremony of the academic year in which they graduate. In order to be approved for graduation, you will need to set up an appointment with your academic advisor by either calling the Advisement Center at 801-422-3777, or stopping by our office in D-444 HFAC.

I need to move my graduation to another date. Can I do that?

Potentially, please contact our office by calling 801-422-3777, or stop in D-444 HFAC to set up an appointment with your advisor.

Can I work on BYU campus?

On campus employment is a great way to earn money without even having to leave the campus! You can find out more information on the Student Employment Website.

Can I work as a part time student or if I am taking less credit hours?

Students may be granted an exception to work with fewer than the required credits for approved medical reasons or if they are in their last semester of schooling. For questions regarding the process, contact Student Employment at 801-422-3562.

I only have 1 class left to graduate, but I’m on scholarship. Can I take less classes my last semester?

Some scholarships allow students to submit a contract to request a reduction in the minimum credit hour requirement (14 credits) during your final enrollment prior to actual graduation (unless you are obligated by contract to take more). Your scholarship amount will be prorated. If you scholarship allows you to request a reduction in credit hours, contact your academic advisor and they will write you a letter verifying it is your last semester.

I will be moving before my housing contract ends. Can you write a letter?

If you are moving due to graduation and have already applied for graduation, your advisor may be able to write a letter. Please contact the Advisement Center at 801-422-3777, or stop by our office in D-444 HFAC.

Where do I go to pay tuition?

Tuition can be paid online at OneStop; Click the Pay Tuition Link and sign in.  Tuition can also be paid at the Financial Office in D-155 ASB.

What if my BYU Net ID or password doesn’t work?

You can call the Registration Office at 801-422-2631 or the Office of Information Technology at 801- 422-4000 and they can reset your password for you.

Is there a web page for new students?

Yes, new students should check out the Office of First Year Experience Website.

Where can I find application/audition information for Limited Enrollment programs?

View each department’s website for application/audition information and deadlines. You may also call or stop by the departmental offices for further information.

What is a Limited Enrollment program (LEP)?

Enrollment in most degree programs in the College of Fine Arts and Communications is limited by the availability of resources such as facilities, equipment, and faculty. Students are required to follow a specific application process designed to assess individual ability, preparation, and potential. This process also helps each student evaluate the level of accomplishment they might expect to experience in the major and, after graduation, in the profession itself.

What resources are available to help me choose a major?


Advisors in the University Advisement Center are available to help students choose majors and careers. They are located in 2500 Wilkinson Student Center, or they can be contacted at 801-422-3826 or


Career Interest Inventories are available at the University Career Services. The inventories can match your interests with career professionals in the work place. After taking an inventory, you meet with an advisor to review your results and discuss major and career options. A small fee is charged for these tests. Also, DISCOVER is a free online comprehensive computer program that can help you explore your interests and career options. Call 801-422-2689 or email to request a user ID and instructions.


Student Development 117: Career Exploration, is a two-credit course taught by advisors to help you explore major and career options.

Where can I find what times classes will be offered next semester?

By checking the class schedule or by clicking on the class in MyMAP registration page.

Where can I view course prerequisites?

Use the University Catalog to search classes and view the prerequisites required.

I forgot to register for a class. What can I do?

If you need to request an exception to add a class(es) after the add drop deadline, you will need to submit a petition here.

What is a flag?

A flag is a code placed on your myBYU account that allows you to register for courses that are restricted due to “majors only” designation or prerequisites. To have your record flagged contact us at 801-422-3777, or stop by our office in D-444 HFAC.

How do I get flagged for a class?

For most classes within our college that need to be flagged, you just need to contact our office at 801-422-3777, or stop by our office in D-444 HFAC. If you have completed all of the prerequisites, we will process your request and get the flag put on for you. Once the flag has been put on (usually within one business day of your request), you should be able to register.

What should I do if a class I need is full?

If a class you wish to take is full, you may ‘waitlist’ the course. For more information about the waitlist option, you may view the BYU Registrar’s Website here. If by the first week of class you still haven’t found an opening, you may contact the professor to see if they would be willing to add you to their class. If the professor agrees, you must obtain a permission-to-add code and enter it in on your registration page. This is up to the professor and/or department, so a permission-to-add code is not guaranteed.

How many classes should I register for?


Full-time status is 12 credits
International students must take at least 12 credits
Most students take 14-16 credits


Full-time status is 6 credits
International Students must take at least 6 credits
Most students take between 5 and 7 credits

How do I register for classes?
  1. Log into MyMAP using your Net ID and password.
  2.  Click the Register tab.
  3.  Find the semester/term you wish to add classes for and click the Add Classes button.
  4.  Select the teaching area and course you wish to add.
  5.  Select the section you wish to add.
  6. Choose an available section that fits your schedule. Available sections have an “A” in the left column. Full classes are denoted by a dash (-). If the section you want to add is already full, you may Waitlist the course. Pay attention to prerequisite classes and recommendations at the top of the page. Also pay attention to the Notes column for specific instructions for individual sections.
How do I change my major?

The process for requesting a change of major can be done online. In order to request to change your major, please follow these steps:


  1. Go to your MyMAP page, to the “Plan” tab.
  2. Under “Tools,” click on “Change Major Request.”
  3. Click “Request a change of major” and follow the instructions.


If the major is a Limited Enrollment Program (LEP), you can declare a Pre-major status showing your intention to apply for the major. Students with less than 45 BYU credit hours (excluding language exam credits) do not need to meet with an advisor to have their major changed. Students must select and declare a major by the time they have 60 earned BYU credit hours (excluding language exam credits). Once a student has 75 earned BYU credit hours (excluding language exam credits), they will not be allowed to change their major, unless special permission is granted.

How can I plan courses in MYMAP?

To view a tutorial on how to plan courses in MyMAP, click here.

For admitted Communications Students

  1. Go to MyMAP and click on “Plan Courses.”
  2. Select your major in the Planning Box on the left hand side.
  3. Begin planning your incomplete MAJOR requirements, making sure to select a semester for each course. To help you with your major planning, use the major course sequencing outline you received in the orientation meeting when you were admitted to Communications or e-mail your academic advisor for a copy or the major sequencing.
  4. Next, plan any incomplete GE or MINOR requirements by selecting those programs in the Planning Box.
  5. Once all of your requirements have been planned, click on “View Planned Classes” on the left sidebar under “Tools”. This will give you a semester-by-semester plan.
  6. Remove any unneeded or already completed courses from the “Unassigned” section of the semester-by-semester plan and assign any needed courses to a specific term or semester.
  7. Check to make sure your completed and planned courses add up to at least 120 total credits. If not, select courses from the “Elective Courses” link that sound interesting to you. You will not be required to enroll in those specific courses, but it will remind you that you need to complete elective hours.
How do I create a graduation plan?​
  1. Start with a blank semester-by-semester form
  2.  Log into MyMAP. In the Academic Programs box click on your major (linked in blue) to access a PDF of your Major Academic Plan (MAP). If you are a pre-major, you may access the MAPs at this link.
  3.  Refer to suggested sequence of courses on your MAP.
  4.  Begin placing your courses in the worksheet in pencil so that changes may be made easily.
  5.  Start with your MAJOR classes first as they may be sequential. Prerequisite information & current class schedules can be found here.
  6.  Next plan any MINOR courses if applicable. Use the link to your minor in the planning box on the Plan Courses tab of MyMAP to check requirements.
  7.  Fill in your GEs where you have space available. For information regarding GEs, visit
  8.  Add up your completed and planned credits to make sure they meet the 120 credit minimum needed to graduate from BYU.
Where can I park if I have an appointment with my academic advisor?

Most parking on campus is reserved for employee parking or students who have registered. If you are a campus visitor (non-student) you may park in visitor parking located north east of the Museum of Art or the parking lot located east of the Wilkinson Student Center. Please be sure to check parking signs.

Where is the CFAC Advisement Center located?

We are located in D-444 of the Franklin S. Harris Fine Arts Center.

Where is the Harris Fine Arts Center and the School of Communications Brimhall Building Located?

Where can I obtain a major/minor modification (substitution) form?

The form can be found here. Once you have filled out the form and obtained the needed faculty advisors signature, please bring the form to the CFAC Advisement Center for processing.

How do I declare a minor?

Please contact the College of Fine Arts and Communications Advisement Center by calling 801-422-3777 or by coming in to our office (D-444 HFAC) for specific information on how to declare a minor. Be aware that some minors may require an application process.

How do I know what classes to register for?

A list of classes that fill the University Core can be found here. Courses required for majors are listed in the Major Academic Plan MAPs; we recommend students follow the suggested sequence of courses.

How do I participate in April 2019 graduation ceremonies?

April 2019 graduation ceremonies will be held as follows:

  • University commencement: (You should have received a separate email from University Communications with their detailed information. If you did not receive an email, please subscribe to their email list through this form.)
    • Thursday, April 25th @ 10:00am – Marriott Center
  • College of Fine Arts and Communications (CFAC) convocations:
    • Friday, April 26th – de Jong Concert Hall, HFAC
Art, Design@12:00noon
Dance,  Music, Theatre & Media Arts (including MDT)@ 3:00pm


What are my viewing options?

The following viewing options are available to make the College of Fine Arts and Communications (CFAC) convocation ceremonies accessible for as many graduates’ guests as possible:

  1. Free ticketed general admission seating (4 guest tickets per graduate) in the de Jong Concert Hall
  2. General overflow seating at an HFAC location – to be determined
  3. Online streaming: or via a banner on the College website

How do I obtain convocation tickets?

General admission seating tickets for the college convocation ceremonies will be limited to 4 per graduate and will be available for in-person pick up at the Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC) Ticket Office (open 10:00am-5:00pm) according to the schedule below. Please note that this includes December 2018 graduates, and finalized applicants for April 2019, June 2019, or August 2019 onlyPre-approved ticket recipient lists will be provided to the HFAC Ticket Office by the CFAC Advisement Center. Be prepared to show identification (BYU ID, drivers license, etc.) to claim your tickets.

CFAC Convocation Ticket Pick-up Dates

School of CommunicationsDepartment of Art

Department of Design

Department of Dance

School of Music

Department of Theatre and Media Arts (including MDT)

Late requests

(any students that did not claim tickets on the previous dates)

March 18th-19thMarch 20th-21stMarch 25th-26thMarch 27th-28th


What if I want more than 4 tickets?

After students have claimed their 4 tickets during the designated windows indicated above, any additional tickets will be distributed at the HFAC Ticket Office on a first-come first-served basis beginning on March 29th. This second round of ticket distribution will also be limited to a maximum of 4 additional tickets per student (with a possible 8-ticket maximum).

What if I’m not on campus?

Qualified student participants who are not on campus during the Winter 2019 semester, or who are otherwise unable to pick up their allotted tickets during the appointed times, must contact their department/school (Art, Comms, Dance, Design, Music, TMA) to arrange for a department representative to collect tickets on their behalf.

What if I want my sibling or spouse to walk in my convocation instead of their own in another college?

Due to strict seating limitations, it might be possible for a sibling or spouse to attend our college convocation; however, only overflow seating is guaranteed for their guests. You may choose to check with the other college to see if walking with them would be more accommodating for you and your guests.


For questions regarding graduation/convocation in general, please direct your inquiries to

For comments regarding convocation ticketing procedures, please contact

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt